Saturday, February 9, 2008

Bath Bombs For Valentine's Day

The one in the center I made in a tall shot glass.



This was my first attempt at making bath bombs. I know, I know. I'm in the bath and body industry and I never made bath bombs before?
Unheard of !! Yeah, It's really true. I think there was a part of me that was scared to try, just like I am scared to try cold process soap making without a teacher. I don't want to fail, so I played it safe. I never lacked gumption when trying new things in formulating, but those two things.... well... they got me! (shrug) You can call me a chicken, I understand, and quite deserve it as well.

Anyway, I tried making the bombs yesterday and loved it, although my fingers are achy from pressing so hard on the molds trying to create the hardest unbreakable bombs imaginable. I also stained my soapstone countertop pink. I use Wilton Gel colors, and put my teaspoon on the counter with no cover or plate or wax paper.... uh, not good. See below.


The purple ones I made in Kumquat fragrance and pressed a Valentine's sugar heart in them. They came out very holiday appropriate. The pink and peach ones are in Grapefruit Lemon made with two different colors with moon dust sprinkled in the mold. That didn't work out that well either because there is too much dust, I should have just sprinkled a tiny amount and not been so generous because, as you can see, the dust has sort of flaked off.

So this morning after a day of air drying, I visited my bombs and - agh! - Some of them are cracking right down the center. (see photo below)


Stupid Bombs
.


No one can say I didn't push them hard enough together because I put all my might into those suckers and my muscle under my armpit is achy and sad. Know what I think? I think I packed them too hard before I mushed them together. Maybe I should try packing them lightly and then packing them mightily together. Yes, I'll try that. Luckily, I made 16 and only 5 or so are cracking. I guess that's not all bad.

So my first two batches aren't total failures, but they will be for my family and friends. I need to incorporate the color better, maybe try crazier colors, and press differently. They say try, try again. So I will.

I'll keep you posted with photos. Happy bubbling!

9 comments:

Shelley Ann Jones said...

Love it! I have made bath bombs twice and the first time I did better than my second attempt. But I do LOVE buying bath bombs... my silly hubby got me started on them when I was pregnant with the twins. I wrote a post about being covered in glitter on the day I delivered because of my bath the night before. Oh it was wonderful. :)

Anonymous said...

You deserve some kudos for even attempting them because I know how you feel (I was also really scared to try making cp soaps until someone showed me how; and even now, I have yet to do it a second time).

I think the bombs that have the candy hearts embedded are beautiful...those lucky recipients!

Sandy said...

They look wonderful!
I wish my first batch looked as good as yours. :-)

I think your hooked!

Joanna Schmidt said...

you guys are so sweet and supportive. Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement. You know, if we all lived close together, we could make magic !

Joanna Schmidt said...

you guys are so sweet and supportive. Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement. You know, if we all lived close together, we could make magic !

Joanna Schmidt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

Those look great! My first attempts at anything are often disastrous = ) I've been meaning to try bath bombs too so I'll take your tips to heart...

Kenny Surtani said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Joanna,

About them cracking, I feel your pain, I really do. It is so frustrating, sometimes they have a mind of their own.