Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Bone In The Fan Tears Archuleta A New.....

This post is written by my husband, Brad. You can read it on his blog Bone In The Fan, here.

American Idol Finals Magic: David Archuleta Makes Me Throw Up In My Mouth

December 8, 1980, New York City: Mark David Chapman murders John Lennon on a street in front of his home. The world mourns.

May 20, 2008, Los Angeles: David Archuleta murders "Imagine" on national television. I puke in my mouth.


I almost didn't watch it. My 11 year old daughter wanted to watch the Idol finals (she's a David Cook fan thank goodness, given the other option), so I put it on and bailed for coffee, a pathetic and insipid version of Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me reaching my ears as I ran from the house. I suppose the name American Idol is apt (which is horribly sad when you think about it), but somehow I stupidly hope it will be about and originality and depth, not the search for America's next Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product. So yes, I'll confess to having been sucked into the show in the past. Last night though, as I drove off in my Jeep listening to Joe Jackson's "Night Music" CD, I was asking myself quite earnestly what had become of me that I had actually watched more than zero episodes this year. The audition process can be amusing in a pathetic schadenfreude way, and it's certainly always fun to wonder which Paula Abdul will show up (Will she be high? Will she behave like an over-affectionate alcoholic? The kind that wraps her arm over your shoulder at the bar and tells you how much she loves you, man. Will she drool over the teenaged contestants like a deranged cougar?) but I'm disgusted with myself all the same. So as I say, I left the house and went for coffee.


I got home shortly after the show ended. My wife Joanna had not shut off the DVR. Which meant that I could, if I wanted, rewind to the show and watch some of it. Here's the thing about me: a few weeks ago I had the opportunity, while I was speaking with a police accident investigator, to either look or not look at photographs of a particularly bad motorcycle accident. Faced with the choice of more information versus less information, I always have to choose more (frankly, I'm an information slut) so I looked at the photos. And last night I rewound the DVR.

(to read the full article go here to Bone In The Fan )

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad, duuude, you are my kinda guy!

"rant on why American Idol may well be one of the signs of the coming apocalypse" - I have said variations on that theme so many times, nobody brings the show up around me any more. ;)

So, I guess that means I'll have to add your upcoming blog to my list of to-reads...as if I didn't have enough to read - curse you!

Anonymous said...

Can I get an "amen!"

Michelle said...

I don't actually like David Cook either. I remember listening to him sing his own version of some song and completely mutilating it.

BILLIE JEAN! That's it. You just can't take a classic like Billie Jean by Michael Jackson and make it your own.

It's incredibly hard to do and he didn't do it. Everyone seems to adore him though.

Carrie Garvin said...

Brad- I admire your "tell it like it is" attitude.

Heather@Twin Birch said...

Man, you are laugh out loud funny! I'm afraid I share your "can't look away" affliction! In fact, I was totally captivated by David Cook's tears... that happens to girls.

Now we can all sit back and wonder what David A. will do next...yikes!~

Joanna Schmidt said...

MIche, I actually think that Billie Jean song was great. It was totally original and I applaud people who can create something from themselves from something majorly established.

Anonymous said...

David Archuleta is much more better than all you say. GET A LIFE. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Huh. That is SO WEIRD. Your name is exactly the same as the word that people use when they want to hide their actual name. It must have been tough growing up with that name.

I would ask that any new comments on this be made on my actual blog, not Joanna's.