Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wick Size Does Matter


Has this ever happened to you? This is called tunneling of the candle. This occurs when the wick size is incorrect for the wax that is used. The core of the candle will burn straight down, eventually suffocating the flame due to lack of oxygen.

I thought I bought the right wick size for the container I used, but the wick that was recommended by the vendor was for beeswax not soy wax. I hate wasting wax, time and shipping costs.

Back to the drawing board...


On a good note, the scent is wonderful! It was a creamy floral.

I'll let you know when I make candles that are burn proof. ;)

4 comments:

Carrie Garvin said...

I understand candle making is quite an art to get it right--probably LOTS of trials & errors.

I can't tell you how many times I have store bought candles that sink in the middle and are not use after a long burn---urghhhh

Suds to Love said...

My intentions when I started soaping was also to make candles. I've made candles exactly once and I honestly stink at it... it is time consuming and requires much patience (not one of my better qualities), so I think I'll stick with soaping!

Anonymous said...

When you find out how to make a candle that doesn't burn please let me know. I've been trying to figure that out for while now,lol :)

Anonymous said...

Candle making is an art in it's self and time consuming to get it perfect. I admire the pros.